Tax & Assessing
Summer Tax payments will be accepted starting July 1, 2020 by mail or drop box ONLY. Receipts will be mailed upon written request.
We will be closed on the following holidays
- Martin Luther King Day Monday January 20th, 2020
- President’s Day Monday February 17th, 2020
- Memorial Day Monday May 25th, 2020
- Independence Day Thursday July 4th, 2020 (Not a regular business day)
- Labor Day Monday September 7th, 2020
- Columbus Day Monday October 14th, 2020
- Veteran’s Day Wednesday November 11th, 2020 (Not a regular business day)
- Thanksgiving Thursday November 26th, 2020
- Christmas Eve Thursday December 24th, 2020
- Christmas Day Friday December 25th, 2020 (Not a regular business day)
Powell Township Tax Collection Hours:
Regular Hours: Monday & Thursday, 9 am to Noon.
Special Hours Monday March 2nd, 9am to 5pm for last day collection at the Township for 2019 taxes
Beginning March 3rd, 2020 Winter taxes MUST be paid at Marquette Co. Treasurer’s office. Call 906-225-8425 for delinquent tax information.
If your taxes are paid by a mortgage escrow and you receive your tax bill, it is your responsibility to forward your tax statement to them. We do everything in our office to assure you or your mortgage company receives a tax statement.
“Where do my tax dollars go?”
I am often asked this and the answer is:
Properties that are taxed at the 100% PRE (Principal Residence Exemption) rate, Powell Township receives 25% of the tax dollars which goes to the following: Fire, Ambulance and Operating, Marquette County receives 33%, MARESA 8%, State Education 26%.
Properties taxed at the 0% PRE rate, Powell Township receives 14% for the previous listed funds. Powell Township receives 14%, Marquette County receives 19%, MARESA 5%, State Education 15%, Powell Township School 41%.
Online Assessing and Tax Information
Using a connection with our assessing and tax software, we are pleased to introduce an additional tool for our residents, owners, and real estate brokers. Please follow this link. Residents and owners can view their own assessing information for free but there is a fee for others to view. Create your account to keep current with property information.